Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Vacation 2010

Before I dive into vacation stories, here's an adventure just days before we left...

A few days prior to leaving for vacation Gavin jumped off the couch & cracked his head off of the corner of our coffee table. Now, I wished there would have been a camera rolling to view the chaos after this happened. Jason was not home – in Apollo picking up Ben’s bike. Gavin jumps, heads his head, begin with “I’m ok!’ then a frantic “Nooo I immediately put my hand on his head to cancel the pain, on to feel the ooziness of the blood. At this point River decides it is appropriate to strip completely and run around the house laughing holding diaper the entire time. Olivia is screaming on the couch because her nursing session has been halted. I get Gavin to the kitchen, which I thought was a nice central location with floor that could be easily cleaned. I then proceed to call the pediatrician & Jason – who brilliantly suggests I take Gavin to a Med- Express place instead of an ER. Pediatrician agreed & assured me they would do a thorough evaluation & send him onto Children’s if they felt necessary. This poor pediatrician has already seen River & Olivia for their well appointments, guess Gavin felt left out. End result – a little bit of glue (Derma-bond). This was decided only after the doctor felt the need to clean & enthusiastically show me the difference beside Gavin’s laceration & one that needs stitched, have I mentioned that I am known to faint at the site of blood. The love of my child kept me conscious.

My Brave Boy!


Now vacation...This past week we made our annual trip to Rehoboth Beach. I am blessed to have an aunt that allows us to use her beach house for our vacation each summer. We were also blessed to have Ben & Allison join us. They were a tremendous help. Despite having a rough start, vacation was a good get away for us all once I stopped trying to plan things.

First news about vacation – no AC for a very hot & humid weekend! Jason always said that if I were a super hero heat & humidity would be my kryptonite.

Instead of boring you with a day by day replay, I will summarize our trip with a game Jason & I used to play called Hi/Lo – taken from the movie “The Story of US”

  • Lo – River getting sick
  • Hi – seeing the kids run around & give a tour of the hotel room we stayed in on the way down
  • Lo – being stuck on the Bay Bridge for 45 minutes
  • Hi –watching the kids play in the sand & be brave enough to get their feet wet
  • Lo – Gavin getting sick
  • Hi – walking up and down the beach with Olivia
  • Lo – discovering the place we really wanted to have a date at was closed for the night
  • Hi – stealing away an hour a day to read on the beach without the kiddos

Enjoy a few pics!



3 comments:

  1. Readers should be aware that that last picture is of Gavin sitting on a "nest" that he fashioned out of pine needles. He wanted to pretend to be a "Laughing Gull" which Uncle Ben taught him was the proper name for the seagulls we were seeing. Proud of his mastery of taxonomy? Heck yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi--delicious family dinners
    Lo--Gavin informing me he likes Ben better

    Hi--wine, beer, and trips to Atlantic Liquor
    Lo--neither one of the boys giving us hugs before we left..haha (they were sick of us)

    Hi--beautiful days
    Lo--getting attacked by "laughing gulls"

    Hi--having fun getting an old time photo
    Lo--being ripped off from the guy at the old time photo place

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I kinda can't believe you guys even attempted this trip this year and am very glad you were able to balance your His and Los!

    Great pics, but someone needs to buy Olivia some brown clothes so that she looks like a true Tost ;)

    ReplyDelete